Sunday, October 09, 2005

Zaurus pdaXrom IR Keyboard Drivers (part 4)

(continued from part 3)

Just a brief status update in the ongoing IR keyboard driver saga ...

Pocketop IR keyboard support is now coded up and working. The extra "mode" keys (punct, num, func) needed a bit of extra logic, but nothing terribly difficult. I have keymaps and protocol descriptions for the Targus and Palm IR keyboards. My plan is to code up support for the Targus and Palm and then do a limited alpha release so folks who actually have those keyboards can tell me how bad my support for them is broken :)

It looks like the initial version is going to be "monolithic" where the only way to add new drivers is to write them in C and compile them into the kbdd application. Long term it seems like it should be possible to provide some kind of run-time description of the keyboard's protocol and mapping and have a driver automatically generated. However there are plenty of folks who could benefit from this software as it stands right now, so I don't want to let feature creep stand in the way of an initial release.

With a little luck I will have IPK files ready for alpha testing by the end of the week.

(part 5)

1 Comments:

At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are doing a great thing. I can't wait. I have the belkin keyboard as well, and I have wishing I knew how to do what you are doing now. Thanks alot. Let me know how I can help.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home